Sunday, December 30, 2007

More Scenes From Christmas


We were out walking the Charles Bridge a few nights before Christmas. Steven took the picture of us, with the castle in the background.


Steven and Matthew loved the hot trndl rolls they bake and sell at the markets. If you double click on the picture, you can see them better.


I'm not sure why carp is the traditional Czech food for Christmas, but the tradition goes like this: Men come out on every street corner and fill up tubs and tubs with live carp. People will line up to buy a live carp. They take it home and let it live in their bathtub for a few days, then they kill it and eat it on Christmas Eve. Again, I'm not sure of the reasoning, but I guess cutting down a perfectly good tree and putting tinsel on it doesn't make much sense either.


Christmas morning, we had the Prague district missionaries over for breakfast. If you've ever wondered what missionaries do on Christmas, this is what they do after breakfast--they relax in the mission home. We loved having them with us.


Elder Holik resting in Matthew's favorite chair.



This is the group we had over for breakfast. Steven and Matthew are hiding out in the back row.


Our funny, funny tree. We bought a beautiful, yet little, tree right before we left for Slovakia. When we got home, we discovered our error in forgetting to ask the boys to water it while we were gone. Our once vibrant, bursting with life tree, became this sad, sagging tree; barely able to hold up its ornaments. Sister Forsythe said it best when she walked into the family room this afternoon. She said, "Oh, your tree." Yes, indeed. Our tree. It goes into the trash tomorrow.

If you are reading our post, could you do us a favor and just write your name in the comments box and where you are from? We thought it would be fun to know who is reading. Many thanks, and Stastny Novy Rok!! (Happy New Year)

16 comments:

Mom of the pack said...

Stastny novy rok! I love reading your posts and looking at your wonderful photos of the missionaries and the country as well. I'm a mom of a Czech/Slovak missionary currently in the MTC. I love learning about the mission, the people and the country vicariously through your posts. Thank you so much for your service! Shelley Killpack, Idaho

gramster said...

Thanks so much for doing this blog. Thanks for the great work with the missionaries serving in the Czech Republic. I love seeing the pictures you post and reading about your adventures.
Linda Graham
Gladstone, Oregon
missionary mom to Starsi Cory Graham

Wades said...

I just love reading your blog, it is fun to see the beautiful place that you and those wonderful missionaries serve. My brother will be entering the MTC on January 23. He is soooo excited to serve in the Czech Prague mission.
Lyndsey Wade
Clinton, Utah

Anonymous said...

That poor tree! Oh well you were out "feeding" the spirits of the people instead of the tree:)
Thank you for keeping up your blog and all the pics. We love "seeing" your mission adventure unfold!
Kirsten and Family:)
A message from fish loving Joe....
Carp? Yuck!!!

He is a man of few words:)

Kira said...

Wow. I really thought you guys were exaggerating about the tree. That's horrible. Happy New Year!

Tobin and Zoie Rasmussen
Brandon, FL

Anonymous said...

I am Starsi Colton Winder's mom. I love being able to catch a photo of him now and then and learn more "details" about the mission. Thanks so much for taking excellent care of my boy.

Cathie Winder
Hurricane, Utah

Jon said...

Hi, this is one of the nephews :) Keep posting! I want to go back more every time I see your pictures.

Jon and Jen Johnson
Rhode Island

Darci said...

First Christmas serving a mission is so fun! I'm glad you spent it with your missionaries. It is so fun to see what you guys are up too.

Matthew K said...

My wife and I are very happy to see your blog. My wife served in the Czech Prague Mission from August 2004-March 2006. Then we lived there from March-May 2007 (right after we got married). We love Prague!!!

Matt and Karey Crain
Oklahoma City, OK

Melissa said...

Moo to you! I love you all! Snow! I am sooo jealous! We had a Charlie Brown tree this year too! The bad part was that we found out I was allergic to it! It was a kleenex Christmas for me!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My name is Mandy Johnson. I am Elder Clayton Johnson's big sister! My mom and I were playing on the computer the other day and were so excited to find this blog! (A big thanks to clay for letting us know that it existed!)
I am so glad that is does! I will be reading it frequently.
Tell Clay that we love him and are so proud of him and we can't wait for him to get home! 3 more months!

Becky said...

I'm following instructions and letting you know I'm checking your blog occasionally, and I noticed you added background music. I've never heard that Sally DeFord song before; it's gorgeous!

Joan said...

I am Elder Derek Roylance's aunt in Renton Washington. Thank you for taking the time to post these wonderful photos on your blog. It brings your mission a little closer to all of us.

Joan Roylance Whiteford
Renton Washington

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Elder Killpack's mom sent me the link to this blog! It was wonderful to see a photo of my son and know he arrived safely, even before your lovely letter arrived. Prague is beautiful.

Thank you so much,

Peggy Ann Strupp (Elder Strupp's mom)

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! My son Daniel Solomon has been serving there for almost a year now, and I just learned about this. I am so grateful you are writing it - it's way more informative than his letters are! I have now added it to my favorites so I can check in on you now and then. Thanks so much for taking such good care of our missionaries, and being such good examples to them. The Gospel is true!

SMMART ideas said...

Hi,
I'm just searching around for info about the Czech mission for the upcoming Czech/Slovak 20 year reunion...I'm in the planning stages. Such a fun blog!
Lisa (Keliipaakaua) Bergantz
http://SMMARTideas.blogspot.com