Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Winter is coming fast!



Last month we were at a family camp outside of Brno. The entire branch spends a week in the mountains. They asked us to come speak to them on the last evening. It was so cold! I started out in a jacket. Then someone brought me another parka. I was still shivering, so they brought me a blanket. By the end of the evening, I was wearing a sleeping bag over the parka and blanket.


Town hall in Liberec, Cz. The church is down the street past the namesti.


I had to put this picture in for all the chocolate lovers out there--world headquarters of Lindt Chocolates!


We just completed a whirlwind trip to Slovakia. I know it will be hard for our Florida friends to imagine, but winter is already in progress there. It was COLD! I had to wear a sweater under my leather jacket--and we're only into the second week of September. Not a good sign for what is to come, I'm afraid.

So we hurried on back to Prague to find more of the same weather. Hmmmm....the leaves are turning colors and falling, it's raining more, and I have to wear tights to keep my legs warm. It's starting to get dark earlier, and I find myself wanting to go to bed at 8 pm. This is going to be a very different winter for me, that's for sure. I have fond memories of walking on the golf course on Christmas Eve in my flip flops. Which makes me wonder--can missionaries hibernate?

The people here are so amazing. Each Czech has a conversion story that brings tears to our eyes. Many members of the church were converted during communism, and they were baptized in the dark of night. They met secretly for sacrament services. None of them would share the gospel with any of their friends or family, until they could trust them. Otherwise, they would be reported to the secret police and thrown in jail. To this day, when we use the term "investigator" --which we use often for those who are learning about the gospel-- they still think of men in trench coats interrogating them because of their beliefs. Freedom of religion takes on a whole new dimension of meaning over here.

6 comments:

Kira said...

Ha Ha! I am actually jealous-- its hot here...way too hot. I love hearing about the Czech converts. We need to come visit.

Anonymous said...

Ellen,
I am having a lot of trouble with my computer and e-mail, so this is the first time I tried to look up your blog in a long time. Things a going along here. This semester seems to be the worst one yet. I hatge my two teachers, they are witches (other students use a slightly different spelling of that word--but we mean the same thing.) But I do like my hospital site. It is far away, but it is worth the drive. Hope you keep warm.

Anonymous said...

Cold weather, Mountains and a Chocolate factory! sounds like heaven to me!
I am getting this picture in my mind of spring time hitting the hills and Ellen in an apron singing "The hills are alive........"
Kirsten:)

Heidi Lyn said...

I love the cold weather! How fun for you. I can't wait to see you guys in just a few short months!

Keep up the good work.

Rob & Beth said...

Hi You Two! Thank you so much for your wonderful Blog entries. Your excitement jumps right off the screen. We love the photos.

We are enjoying the beautiful fall weather of the Methow Valley. Right now the afternoon temperatures are in the high 70's low 80's. We'll join you with the cold weather in the next couple of months.

Take care. We think of you so often and always look forward to reading about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

I finally got around to seeing this. It is really an adventure. I enjoyed reading about all the things you are doing and seeing. I'm laughing about winter is coming. We went to a football game the other night and I had everything on I could get and I was still cold. Keep up the good work. Your cousin, Carolyn