Friday, October 9, 2009

A Birth, A death, and Life Rumbles Along


September 16th, our daughter Kira gave birth to a new grandson, Chase Rasmussen. I flew home to be with her family. It was strange being back in Florida. For one thing, it was HOT. For another thing, the cars in the states are HUGE. I don't remember them being so big. After driving our little Skoda for two years, I was shocked to see such enormous vehicles clogging the highways. That's not to say I didn't enjoy being home. I loved seeing my family and friends; and when did Walmart and Target get so much stuff?! But it is not the same when my companion is still in Prague. I missed not being with him.
Shortly after I returned to Prague, my sweet mother in law passed away. She was an amazing woman who converted her husband to the gospel, and raised 3 beautiful, intelligent, wonderful people. I will always honor her for giving birth to, and teaching my husband how to be a true Latter Day Saint. She was a saint herself. Her burial is in Brigham City, Utah next week. I would say "Rest in peace, Ruth", but I know she is already busy and happy with her beloved husband who passed away many years ago, and no doubt she is teaching the gospel. She was an exceptional teacher.

5 comments:

Kira said...

I love that picture of Grandma and Grandpa.

By the way-- "Shkodas are Fantashtic!"

Amy said...

Congratulations Kira! Baby is gorgeous.

Ellen, that's funny about the cars. A few years ago when we went to Paris, the first thing we said when we arrived at the airport and looked at the parking lot was, "Wow! Look at all those tiny cars!" What's really scary are seeing the Smart Cars drive along side Suburbans here.

Please pass on to your husband how sorry we are about his mother. Take care!

Ellen said...

Yesh, Kira, They are.

Clark and Shelley Davis said...

President Slovacek - We just read your mother's obituary in our Brigham City newspaper today and were so sorry to hear of her passing. It sounds like she was a wonderful woman. We knew Glen Compton and didn't realize you had this connection to our great city! Again, please accept our condolences. We appreciate all that you have done for our son Andrew. Sincerely, Clark and Shelley Davis

Sally-Ann said...

Congratulations on the new grandbaby!

So sorry to hear about Pres.Slovacek's mother. I loved the words you wrote about her, a loving tribute. Our prayers are with you at this time.

Sally-Ann